Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mini-quilt madness


I whipped up this mini-quilt the other day to practice combining solid colors (though I had to let one perfectly-matched print slip in, and I'm glad I did) and straight-line quilting. I love the color combination, although it looks a bit different in real life than in the photos.

I used Moda Bella Solids in Antique White, Free Spirit Designer Solids in Red and Toast, Amy Butler Broadcloth in Mango, and a Kona color I had in my stash that doesn't look like anything on my (newly purchased) color card. The lone print is Metro Dots in Turquoise.

It turns out that I absolutely love straight-line quilting. My walking foot is a bit finicky, but it was smooth sailing once I got going.

This mini-quilt has no intended purpose or recipient, and will probably become a mat on my sewing table. I just really needed to start and finish a project...hopefully you all know the feeling!

In other news, we had an honest-to-goodness sew-in at our last NEMQG meeting and actually sewed! It was amazing. See some photos from our meeting here (thanks, Laurie!).

2 comments:

  1. I love the sweet, but not sugary, palette in this. that bit of red is perfect, as are the dots. how would you compare the different solids in feel and richness? I've only used kona and the amy butler stuff (which I love)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is SO awesome, the metro totally gives it a pop!

    ReplyDelete