Tuesday, March 15, 2011
B is for...
A butterfly block for the NEMQG bee (ah, I couldn't resist). This one is for Aimee, who is making a butterfly quilt for her daughter. Aimee gave us more leeway in design and sizing than anyone else in the bee has so far (though she did ask for no applique). She only showed us one pattern as an example, and after I saw a few of my bee buddies use it, I decided to look around for something different. I searched high and low, and eventually found this pattern on Quilter's Cache, a website I love.
We were free to use some of our own fabrics. I ended up using only one of the fabrics she sent. I included a large chunk of a red floral print I bought from Cottage Industrialist. Her fabrics are fantastic...organic, sturdy, and shiny. I thought the flowers were reminiscent of butterflies, so I included that print. Gotta keep the theme continuous.
I admit I was a bit nervous about this block because I've never made anything representational or figural before, but I'm happy with how it turned out. As I was making it, I thought that this might end up being my last bee/swap for a while. I had only four hours to sew for the entire week, and this took a little over two...leaving me with very little time to focus on my own projects. Like everyone, I have a million ideas in my head, but very few hours to execute them.
I hope you like it, Aimee!