I still had all of my scraps out from the burrito pillow, so I dug into my stash for the perfect neutral fabric for the body. I had about two yards of this charcoal wool that I bought at Sewfisticated nine months ago for $1.75. I had dreams of making a bag that looks like a large version of this case. Gotta start small.
I made two of these in about three hours, while talking on the phone, watching television, and eating leftover V-day cheesecake. For the internal fabric, I used a purple polka dot that I bought to back a baby quilt a few months ago, but never used. So I used about 1/4 yard of a fabric I really don't like and still have 1 and 1/4 yards left over (at least I'm making progress!). I also used wool batting, which I thought would be a bit more protective because of the higher loft, but I wish I hadn't because it feels a bit too thick...like those little stuffed books that you give to babies.
I modified the closure strap and sewed on a snap, but think I should have used Velcro instead...I will probably rip it off tonight and replace the snap the Velcro, which is much better when you're in a rush to get on and off the train!
I also omitted the pockets the pattern includes...both to speed the process up and because I couldn't think of anything I would need to put in the pocket of my Kindle case.
I'm looking forward to having some time to sew this weekend. Happy President's Day, everyone!